Folks, we are a mere 7-8 weeks away from toe meeting leather and all will be right in the world again.
Now, before you get set for the 2018 season we must review how my No Doubters from 2017 came to fruition.
Pump the brakes, Phil Steele and all your fans 2018 will be here before we know it and be ending way too fast.
17. Butch Jones does not make it to Christmas
Butch was fired on November 12, 2017 following a dismal loss to Missouri. Heck, the turkey didn’t even make it to his day. Good luck in Tuscaloosa!
16. Wyoming will win 11 games.
The Cowboys won 8 games and missed a few upset bids early in the season. Their big time QB Josh Allen did garner attention on Cheyenne with his NFL draft stock.
15. Wake Forest will go to a New Years Day bowl.
The Demon Deacons went 7-5 in the regular season and earned a trip to the Belk Bowl which was played on 12.29 so I am throwing up the L.
14. Vanderbilt and Missouri will win more combined games than that of Syracuse and Boston College.
7 wins for Missouri.
5 wins for Vanderbilt.
7 wins for BC.
4 wins for the Cuse.
12 for SEC. 11 for ACC. I will take it.
13. Washington will win the PAC-10 but miss out on the playoff .
The Huskies did not win the league but did miss out on the playoff. Chris Peterson has them trending up again!
1 WIN & 1 LOSS
12. Tom Herman wins 8 or more games in Austin.
5 of their 6 losses were by a total of 25 points. The final tally came in a 7-6. That’s not 8 but I believe Herman will make football in Austin relevant again.
11. Georgia wins 9 or more games but loses the SEC East.
Arguably, UGA was a few plays away from this happening but they rode the coattails of freshman Jake Fromm to overtime of the National Championship game before succumbing to another frosh named Tua.
1 WIN and 1 LOSS
10. PJ Fleck rows the boat to a bowl game in the land of 10,000 lakes
What a start? 3-0 but the conference schedule kicked in and unfortunately, so did the losses. Gophers finish 2-7 to not qualify for a bowl game but Fleck made UM watchable again. Thank you!
9. The bottom 2 teams in the SEC West will reside from the Magnolia State.
This wasn’t even close thanks to Arkansas. Woo Pig! MSU and Ole Miss finished ahead of the Hogs therefore another L.
8. Sam Darnold will throw for 3500 yards and 30 touchdowns.
The kid threw for over 4100 yards but missed the touchdown mark by 4. Heck of a year, but came up a few TDs short.
1 WIN & 1 LOSS
7. The Heisman Trophy will reside in Tuscaloosa come mid-December.
The Tide won it all but their QB1 did not make it to NYC. The trophy was hoisted by QB1 out of Norman, Baker Mayfield. Very deserving but the Tide won the war.
6. Coach O will lead Tigers to 10 wins but still lose to Alabama.
The Tigers finished 2017 with 9 wins and 4 losses. In their 4 losses they scored a total of 45 points and if you look closely at each L you are like WTH? 30 point loss to MSU in Starkvegas. Really? A 3-point home loss to Troy. Yes, the Trojans…at home at night. Seriously? A 14-point loss to the Tide in T-town was a given in the preseason, right? A last second loss to Notre Dame in bowl game on long pass. What?
1 LOSS & 1 WIN
5. Will Muschamp will win 6 games again.
Boom did it again! 2017 was a very interesting year but they ended the season with 9 wins and tons of momentum as we head into the 2018 season.
4. Clemson wins 10 games but misses on ACC Championship and 4-team playoff.
Dabo and Boys reeled off 12 wins, an ACC Championship game win, and a grip to the playoff. They are on a roll right now.
2 LOSSES and 1 WIN
3. Urban Meyer and Jimbo Fisher will have more wins than Chris Peterson and Mike Gundy.
10 wins Gundy.
12 wins for Urban.
7 wins for Jimbo.
10 wins for Peterson.
So close, yet so far away! 20 to 19 but FSU had to reschedule a game due to Hurricane Irma in order to get to 6 wins + a bowl game win — they did both with interim coach as Jimbo jetted for oil $$ in College Station.
2. Ohio State, Florida State, Oklahoma, and Alabama will make up the 4 team playoff.
2 out of 4 ain’t bad in baseball, right? I called the Sooners and the Tide but missed on Clemson and Georgia. Ohio State had a chance until their were taken to Woodshed, Iowa and the Seminoles lost their chance when their QB1, Deiondre Francois, was rolled by several Tide defenders 2 and half quarters into the first game.
2 WINS and 2 LOSSES
1. Ohio State raises their second playoff championship trophy in 4 year span!
Man, was I way off on this. Even after the OU loss and the Mayfield flag plant the Buckeyes had a chance. Then, came a trip to Iowa. Enough said and congrats to Saban on winning another. Is he ever satisfied?
1 BIG LOSS
My 2017 No Doubters come to a tally of 10 WINS and 16 LOSSES (a 38.5% — only way is up, right?).
That is it for the 2017 rewind. I hope you enjoyed the look back.
The 2018 No Doubters will be out soon! Also, there is more at stake this year as well when it comes to Eli and I picking against each other — more to come about that as well.
Enjoy your summer! Your fingernails and nerves will thank you in about 55 days.